Our goal is to create a high-quality Pre-Kindergarten program that provides our students with a comprehensive preparation for Kindergarten. Each child is free to learn, explore and achieve at his or her own pace, based on his or her own interests, in a safe and comfortable “home-like” environment.
Dal Vero draws primarily from the Reggio Emilia approach, while following the guidelines of the Springfield Public Schools and the Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education’s Pre-Kindergarten Standards. There is also Biblical content in an effort to foster Christian values.
WHY WE ARE UNIQUE
- Dal Vero is the only pre-school in the Springfield area to implement the Reggio Emilia approach allowing children to learn by experimenting through their own thoughts and theories.
- Under the Reggio Emilia approach, the classroom environment is as home-like as possible, using natural light, organic materials, plants and family photos.
- Educational milestones are met based upon the individual interests of each child.
- Dal Vero is the only pre-school in the Springfield area to implement the Project Approach for assessment.
- We provide basic foreign language instruction in both Spanish and French.
- We provide an ongoing pictorial portfolio to highlight each child’s goals and achievements, which correlate with the assessment process.
- We provide parents with an end-of-the-week pictorial synopsis via e-mail.
- Students and teachers keep daily journals that are available to be viewed.
- We encourage “guest presentations” by parents to share their talents with the class.
- We offer a pre-Kindergarten “refresher” course during the first two weeks of August, which aid children in a smooth transition to Kindergarten.
- As educational providers, we broaden our knowledge base through continuing educational courses.
Dal Vero assessments are based on developmental milestones and standards that can be seen using the Project Approach. Portfolios are kept for each student with checklists, anecdotal notes, and work samples. Pictorial documentation is also kept. The photos are e-mailed to parents at the end of each week and the entire year are available on CD at the end of the two-week “refresher” course in August.
Dal Vero encourages parents to visit as often as they like and to schedule times to share information about their professions and/or a hobby that may be of interest to the children. Dal Vero reserves special days throughout the academic year for family/child activities. Because we are parents, we understand that special memories are created when children can share “their world” with their parents. In addition, there are two scheduled parent-teacher conferences throughout the year, with one being child-directed. Additional conferences may be requested at any time.
Dal Vero uses disciplinary techniques from “Love and Logic,” Dr. Becky Bailey’s “Conscious Discipline” as well as redirection to deal with classroom conflicts.